Welcome to the home of Croick Church on the
Unfortunately the building is currently closed to all visitors and at this point in time, we are unsure if we are going to be in a position to hold any summer services.
Sadly we have to keep Croick Church locked now to satisfy our insurers and therefore cannot be left open unless it is attended.
In addition the building is currently not safe for visitors because the bell structure is structurally unsound and cordoned off with HERAS fencing. We would advise that anybody visiting and viewing the exterior should be extremely careful and observe the warning notices.
About Croick Church and its history.
CROICK CHURCH lies some 10 miles up STRATHCARRON to the
west of the village of ARDGAY in the county of SUTHERLAND. It was built in 1827 on
land donated by the Rosses of Balnagown and to the design of Thomas Telford, and formed
part of a church extension programme initiated and financed by the Westminster Parliament.
Previously there had been a Preaching Station in its locality and there are the
remains of a Pictish broch within its glebe.
The Church and its minister figured prominently in the
Clearance of Glencalvie in 1845, a tragic event that is recorded in messages scratched on
its east window. But today they play a happier role in continuing to provide a
Christian witness in this remote Highland strath.
To those able to travel to it we extend a warm welcome to
join with us at the service held in the Church during the summer months. The Church
itself is open throughout the year and annually attracts between two and three thousand